Hi ! I'm Qilak
I am an exploration ship, and I have been sailing the seas of the world for 20 years, let's meet each other!
Who am I?
Qilak my name meas « the Celestial Vault » in Inuit. I am a 16-metres aluminum schooner. Launched in 1999 by naval architect Michel Joubert, the designer and first owner, who made the passage from Northwest Greenland to Alaska in 2012 with the polar explorer Janusz Kurbiel.
My little secrets
- length 16m, width 4.10m, draught 1.70m
- Material: Reinforced aluminium (Strongall process)
- Living capacity on board for 10 people, which we limit to 6 passengers and 2 crew
- A large open cockpit for manoeuvring, observing and fishing
- A wheelhouse totally protected from the elements
- Large raised saloon for a panoramic view, comfortably receiving 8 people at the table and a living
- room with 2 generous bench seats
- Sleeping capacity: 8 single berths are available + 2 double cabins, all in 3 cabins and one corridor
- Hot shower, and seperate WC
- Water supply: 1500 litres
- « Refleks » gas boiler with a central heater + engine driven air
- Current 220, 110 and 12 volts on board\
- Annex for 8 people with 15 hp engine
- Fishing equipment used in navigation or anchorage\
- A varied library available
These are my new owners, they are great!
Didier, your skipper
Your skipper is Didier Forest, geographer by training, is qualified as Captain 200 of the Merchant Navy and has many certificates such as mechanic 250 KW and medical III. He also holds a licence as a sailing instructor. Sailing since 1984, he has sailed in all latitudes, from the Arctic to Antarctica, including two Transpacifics New Zealand-Cape Horn and several transatlantics. He is assisted by a versatile sailor, responsible for the “galley” for the duration of the voyage.
Dorian, your deck hand
Your cook & sailor is Dorian, born in Valparaiso and son of your captain. Sailor and traveller, his experiences in the kitchen are multiple, they managed together a family seafood restaurant. Cooking and sailing fit well together. A good dose of creativity and good humour always comes with its small dishes! Varied and fresh Cuisine (supply of fruit and vegetables without difficulty). Note however that we cannot provide special menus! A hand with the dishes would also be welcome.